Halitosis (Bad Breath): This may impact negatively on our relationships and confidence.
Bacteria – on our tongue, gums (in the gum pockets), on the teeth producing sulphar releasing compounds. The bacteria in the gum pockets produced as a result of gum disease often give off an unpleasant odour.
Smoking / alcohol.
Diet – Foods (especially meats) lodged or impacted between teeth can give off bad smells. Garlic / onions consumption are often associated with unpleasant smells
Dehydration / Dry mouth.
Our main role is in the identification of the cause. We may suggest a range of measures to help:
- Improvement in brushing technique
- Interdental cleaning (Flossing / Tepe brushes)
- Use of a mouthwash
- Tongue scrubbing
- Chewing Sugar-free chewing gum
- Regular visits for Scale and Polish
- Advice on diet / rehydration / smoking / alcohol